Sunday, October 28, 2007

Non Western Art



I decided that I would like to learn more about Chinese Brush paintings. Over the years, I've gone to many flee markets and am very intrigued by the style. India ink is kinda like watercolor in needing much control over it and knowing the paper. I see a lot of calligraphy so my vision is to create a poem and then have a scenery landscape of sorts. I've been working on whether to write about my painting scenery or whether to write about how i feel... I already have been journaling a lot of poems. I've lost my imagination... and I know that when I write poems and stories I can tap open the lock downed memory. I miss being random and seeing thing differently I love the acedmic drawing classes i have chosen for myself but it seems to be leaving me no room to imagine. So my personal homework assignment is to open that.
Back to the project.
Chinese Brush Paintings started around 4000 b.c. it started from the Buddhist culture... there are many styles -figure painting popular during the Song dynasty -landscape 4th century -flower and bird painting 9 th century. The ink wash is a very popular technique. They used rice paper a lot of the time. Rice paper usual
ly comes in scrolls. I am going to experiment with different types of paper.

No comments: